Thursday, September 30, 2010

It's a Book

It's a Book is currently on the New York Times best seller book list. I am lucky enough to have a signed copy of the book that I got at ALA this past summer in Washington, D.C. Lane Smith uses the characters of a monkey, donkey and mouse to capture a cute scenario of a techno savvy donkey asking a book loving monkey what is he holding - which the donkey is holding a book. The donkey asks a series of questions, like ""Can it text?", Tweet?, Wi-Fi?". In the end the answer is, "It's a book, jackass." I read this book as a focus to my 5th grade reading class. Instead of saying "jackass", I used the word "donkey". My students liked the book because they related to how technology is taking over reading. The majority of my students, when polled, said they turn on a DSi or computer before opening their book to read. Below is a scanned pucture of my signed book.
Smith, Jane (2010). It's a Book. New York: Roaring Brook Press.




No comments:

Post a Comment